Starting Childcare at Young Phoenix Academy
Your child’s first day at Young Phoenix Academy is an exciting new experience; however, it is common for children and adults to feel uncertain. Every child is different and takes a different period of time to settle in.
We encourage families to follow the below tips to make the first day as smooth as possible. Our team is here to support you and your child throughout the transition process as we begin this exciting journey together.
Tips for Starting Childcare
Before You Start
- Attend a tour and orientation sessions with your child to assist them with becoming familiar with their new environment
- Talk positively about starting childcare by focusing on the fun learning experiences and new friends your child will have
- Discuss what their daily routine will look like at Young Phoenix Academy
- Read books or complete activities about starting school/childcare
- Encourage your child to help pack their bag for their first day and show them how everything is labelled with their name
- Keep drop-off times short and give your child a quick hug and a kiss at the door as you hand them over to their educators
- Plan to pick up earlier on the first few days to assist your child with settling in
- Provide any comforters that may help your child feel more secure such as a teddy
- If you are anxious, please talk to our Centre Director before you leave
- Feel free to call or email the centre to check on your child at any time
- We encourage families to check our Storypark app for updates during the day
- Show your child their photos on Storypark and encourage them to talk to you about what they did throughout the day; and
- Rest assured that if your child is unsettled, we will call you.
What to Bring
Young Phoenix Academy provides healthy nutritious meals, wipes, sunscreen, and education programs as part of the centre’s daily fee. We kindly ask that families pack their child’s bag with the below items each day. Please ensure all items are labelled with your child’s full name.Download First Day Checklist
4-5 Nappies per day if your child is not toilet trained. Wipes are supplied.
Bottles of formula or expressed breastmilk based on your child’s needs.
Two spare changes of clothing including bibs, socks, and underwear.
One set of cot-sized bed sheets in a calico bag or pillow case (not a plastic bag).
Bottle of fresh drinking water in a BPA free drink bottle (no single use plastic bottles).
Sun Safe Hat
A broad brimmed sun safe hat (no caps please). Spare hats are available if you forget.